- Pear & Berry Compote Jam from Scratch
Pear & Berry Compote Jam from Scratch
What you see in the picture is an awesome homemade jam, made of fresh strawberries, raspberries and pears.
No sugar or any other sweetener added.
This jam owes its vibrant flavor to its cooking process. Cooking fruit down till most liquid has evaporated results in a concentrated compote which retains the lively flavors of the fruit.
Freezing some of it in an ice cube tray will yield some pretty nifty popsicles!
Here we go:
Sweetened by: fruit only
Special equipment: stick blender/blender
Preps: 5 minutes (cook time: 30 minutes)
Makes: 1 ¼ - 1 1⁄3 cups
You will need:
2 very ripe pears, cored and diced small
8-10 very ripe strawberries, stems removed, diced
2⁄3 cup ripe raspberries
2 tbsp. butter
How to make it:
1. Melt butter in a pot, then add the fruit and stir.
2. Cook on high, stirring often, till pears are very soft and berries fall apart.
3. Continue cooking on medium-high to high, stirring often, till most liquid has evaporated and the mixture resembles a thick paste.
4. Remove from heat, let cool.
5. Blend. Refrigerate.
- The jam should be kept in the fridge.
- As it contains no added sugar and no preservatives, the jam will not keep for very long.
- Dairy-free/butter-free: Replace butter with a non-dairy substitute. Difference in flavor and texture to be expected.
- Other fruits suitable for a compote jam: apples, peaches, nectarines, apricots, plums. A few drops of freshly squeezed lemon are nice too.
I was seriously debating –when I went outside to the porch to take this lovely picture- whether I should be making anything with this gorgeous fruit at all, or just sit on the porch and munch this fruit as a snack…
In the end I did both!
On this fruity note, I will wish you a wonderful summery weekend!
Wise Choice Market