Cultures for Health Water Kefir Grains
Water kefir grains (WKG) create a carbonated lacto-fermented beverage from sugar water, fruit juice, or coconut water. Incredibly easy to make, water kefir makes a fantastic non-dairy alternative to milk kefir and can be flavored to make a range of delicious beverages, or as an ingredient in many recipes!
- This box contains 1 packet of traditional, heirloom-style water kefir grains.
- Rehydration period of 3-4 days with unchlorinated, unfluoridated water and cane sugar is required before regular use.
- Cultures on the counter at 68°-85°F.
- Can be used to culture sugar water, fruit juice, and coconut water.
- Reusable culture - makes up to 2 quarts water kefir with every batch.
- Instructions for using this culture are included and may be found here.
- Organic sugar, live active cultures
- This product contains no GMO ingredients.
- Manufactured in a facility that also produces products containing soy and dairy.
Shipping and Storage Information
Our water kefir grains are shipped in a dehydrated state in a barrier-sealed packet. The product keeps:
- At room temperature (68° to 78°F): 12 to 18 months
- In the refrigerator (40° to 45°F): 18+ months
- In the freezer (0° to 25°F): not recommended
Additional Details About Water Kefir Grains
Water kefir grains can create a new batch of water kefir every 24-48 hours. One packet of grains can culture up to 8 cups of water. Finished water kefir (not grains) may be used to culture non-dairy milks, for a non-dairy milk kefir alternative.
Actual product may differ from image shown above.
Water Kefir Grains Ingredients:
Organic sugar, live active cultures
|Shipped to you by ground, anywhere in the continental US.
For other locations, please contact us.
I WANT TO MAKE SOME CULTURED FOODS, BUT DON’T KNOW HOW. CAN YOU HELP?
We believe the best place to start is with the correct starter. We offer starters specific to the type of foods you want to culture or ferment.
Each box of starter culture includes easy to follow directions. We also have some instructional videos on the product pages. Just scroll down on the Product Description until you see the video, or past the reviews section to the Product Videos link.
DO YOU HAVE ANY STARTERS THAT ARE DAIRY FREE?
Yes! Caldwell’s starter to ferment vegetables doesn’t contain any dairy. Other dairy free starters are the sourdough breads, water kefir grains, and the kombucha scoby. Please note that these starters may have been produced in a facility that also makes dairy starters.
SOME STARTERS USE THE TERM LACTO-FERMENT. ARE YOU SURE THERE ISN’T ANY DAIRY IN THE STARTER?
The word lacto comes from the name lactobacilli, which biologists have given to a broad family of friendly bacteria. Some of these bacteria are specific to milk, such as in yogurt and cheeses; others are specific to vegetables, and these do not contain dairy. They have one characteristic in common: they transform sugars into a beneficial form of lactic acid. During the fermentation process the friendly lactobacilli bacteria break down the sugars to produce a special form of lactic acid that acts as a natural preservative.
OTHER THAN A PLEASANT SOUR OR TART TASTE, WHY MAKE AND EAT FERMENTED FOODS?
It has been said that up to 85% of the body’s immune system is located in the gut. The entire surface of our digestive system is covered with bacteria. These microbes can be divided into 3 groups: beneficial, transitional and opportunistic flora. Maintaining a healthy colony of beneficial probiotic flora is absolutely essential to good health. Fermented foods help to provide this balance.
Making your own fermented foods is a fun and satisfying way to take charge of your health. You choose the ingredients; veggies from your yard or the farmer’s market, organic flour to make sourdough bread, pastured organic milk and cream for yogurt and milk kefir. Homemade fermented foods are not only good for health; they taste good too.
I’VE HAD MY STARTER IN A CUPBOARD FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. IS IT STILL GOOD?
Most likely it will be fine to use. Below is a general guide on how to store starters.
Kefir grains are dehydrated and can be kept in this state:
- At room temperature: 12 to 18 months
- In the refrigerator: 18+ months
- In the freezer: not recommended
- At room temperature: 3 to 4 months
- In the refrigerator: 6 to 9 months unopened
- In the freezer: 12 months unopened
- At room temperature: 12 months
- In the refrigerator: 12+ months
- In the freezer: 12+ months
- At room temperature: not recommended
- In the refrigerator: 6 months
- In the freezer: 12 months
Information provided in this communication is not designed to and does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, treatment or services to you or to any other individual. This is general information for educational purposes only. The information provided is not a substitute for medical or professional care, and you should not use the information in place of a visit, call consultation or the advice of your physician or other healthcare provider. Wise Choice Marketing Inc is not liable or responsible for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or product you obtain through Wise Choice Marketing Inc
Learn how to activate dehydrated water kefir grains by rehydrating the culture in sugar water. Step by step instructions.
How to Activat...Learn how to activate dehydrated water kefir grains by rehydra...
How to Make Wa...Learn to make this delicious dairy-free probiotic-rich beverag...
How to Flavor ...Learn how to flavor Water Kefir, a dairy-free probiotic-rich b...